International Montessori School is a wonderful, diverse environment where teachers and families of many cultures, languages, and backgrounds come together in a supportive and engaging community. International Montessori School is a non-profit, independent school located in central North Carolina approximately 10 minutes south of Duke University and fifteen minutes north of the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill. As part of the Triangle area, Durham is three hours from the NC beaches, two hours from the NC mountains, and is rich with outdoor activities, cultural events and college sports.
Our school offers a benefits package including medical and dental benefits, life insurance, paid time off, and support for professional development as well as the opportunity for faculty and staff to work in their native language every day while helping children uncover their potential, become bilingual and bicultural, and develop into competent, compassionate and curious global citizens.
Are You an Ideal Candidate for IMS?
As you read these questions, do you see yourself? If so, we would love to talk to you about an open position or a possible future position! We are a growing school with a recent expansion of our Upper Elementary program and future development of an Adolescent program.
- Do you marvel at children and find yourself observing them to see just what they will do and where their inquiries will take them?
- Is your focus on helping children uncover and develop their abilities and interests across a variety of disciplines?
- Do you see yourself as more of a coach or guide than a conduit of knowledge?
- Are you a life-long learner who gets as excited about new discoveries and new opportunities to grow?
- Are you peaceful and joyful?
- Do you have a strong academic background that provides a rich foundation of knowledge and learning from which to draw for elementary and adolescent positions?
- Do you want to help build a school program that is well-respected in the community and unique across the country?
- Do you consider your multilingual and multicultural background and experience not only enriching, but also key to being a strong contributor to our global society?
We are looking for speakers of French, Mandarin Chinese, and Spanish who love young children, have experience with these age groups, and are interested in part-time work. Our part-time substitute teachers would assist the lead teacher when the second classroom teacher is absent and could also be called to supervise and nurture our children primarily during lunch, playground, and naps times while our lead teachers take their lunch breaks and planning time. Because our substitutes are typically joining a classroom teacher or assistant, assignment hours could be from 7:45 or 8:00 to 3:30, from 10:45 to 1:00, or from 2:30 to 5:45, depending on the circumstance. We have flexible work times that could be ideal for university students or parents wishing to be available for their children when they return from school. We will provide training in support of our language immersion and Montessori approach for qualified candidates.
How to Apply
Unless otherwise noted in the individual position, all interested candidates should apply by sending a cover letter and a current resume/CV to the Head of School at email@example.com.
Be sure to include your thoughts on the following topics in your cover letter:
- how you came to Montessori education or why you would be interested in a child-centered program that is aligned with the development of the child and that focuses on the social, emotional, and cognitive growth of the child.
- why you wish to teach in a language immersion setting
- your perspective on the child’s role and the teacher’s role in the classroom