International Montessori School is a wonderful, diverse environment where teachers and families of many cultures, languages, and backgrounds come together in a supportive and engaging community. International Montessori School is a non-profit, independent school located in central North Carolina approximately 10 minutes south of Duke University and fifteen minutes north of the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill. As part of the Triangle area, Durham is three hours from the NC beaches, two hours from the NC mountains, and is rich with outdoor activities, cultural events and college sports.
Our school offers a benefits package including medical and dental benefits, life insurance, paid time off, and support for professional development as well as the opportunity for faculty and staff to work in their native language every day while helping children uncover their potential, become bilingual and bicultural, and develop into competent, compassionate and curious global citizens.
Are You an Ideal Candidate for IMS?
As you read these questions, do you see yourself? If so, we would love to talk to you about an open position or a possible future position!
- Do you marvel at children and find yourself observing them to see just what they will do and where their inquiries will take them?
- Is your focus on helping children uncover and develop their abilities and interests across a variety of disciplines?
- Are you a life-long learner who gets as excited about new discoveries and new opportunities to grow?
- Are you peaceful and joyful?
- Do you want to help an education for children that is well-respected in the community and unique across the country?
- Do you consider your multilingual and multicultural background and experience not only enriching, but also key to being a strong contributor to our global society?
International Montessori School is seeking an assistant teacher our primary (3-6 year old) program to join our team. Our French primary classroom is a full immersion program in which the Montessori curriculum is implemented 100% in French. Most of our students come from English-speaking homes and some have at least one parent who speaks French as their native language.
- Creating and maintaining an environment that is clean and safe for all children.
- Carrying out the daily responsibilities of the classroom relating to the care of the children.
- Providing for the safety and well-being of each child and responding to their emotional needs.
- Supporting the lead teachers in providing lessons to the children.
- Establishing a professional level of rapport with each family in order to provide quality care for the children
- Native or near native fluency in French
- Strong fluency in English
- 1-2 years experience in a classroom supporting children ages 3 to 6
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a teaching team
- Existing US work authorization
Our ideal candidate has a passion for guiding young people, is a lifelong learner, and thrives in a collaborative, international culture.
This position can be fulfilled as a full-time or part-time schedule. A competitive salary and health, vision, and dental benefits are available.
All interested candidates should apply by sending a cover letter and a current resume/CV to Angela Bailey, Head of School at email@example.com.
We are looking for speakers of English, French, Mandarin Chinese, and Spanish who love young children, have experience with these age groups, and are interested in part-time work. Our part-time substitute teachers would assist the lead teacher when the second classroom teacher is absent and could also be called to supervise and nurture our children primarily during lunch, playground, and naps times while our lead teachers take their lunch breaks and planning time. Because our substitutes are typically joining a classroom teacher or assistant, assignment hours could be from 7:45 or 8:00 to 3:30, from 10:45 to 1:00, or from 2:30 to 5:45, depending on the circumstance. We have flexible work times that could be ideal for university students or parents wishing to be available for their children when they return from school. We will provide training in support of our language immersion and Montessori approach for qualified candidates.
How to Apply
Unless otherwise noted in the individual position, all interested candidates should apply by sending a cover letter and a current resume/CV to the Head of School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to include your thoughts on the following topics in your cover letter:
- how you came to Montessori education or why you would be interested in a child-centered program that is aligned with the development of the child and that focuses on the social, emotional, and cognitive growth of the child.
- why you wish to teach or work in a language immersion setting